By Naomi Girdler

Module Code: FDGP202

Sunday 12 February 2012

Alexander McQueen Website




I thought a good port of call to help inspire me to create the website for Vivienne Westwood, would be another high profile fashion designer's website. I chose Alexander McQueen, since he is also known for his quirky fashion style, and I wanted to see whether his website would reflect that or whether it would be simple to allow for his designs to take centre stage.

What I found was a more simple website, and I was surprised to see that the basic layout was very similar to that of a conventional website. I guess I had pre-conceptions that due to the nature of his fashion design, his website may be a way in which to convey the message of his clothing.

I don't particularly like this website. There are elements that I think are fairly well executed, however it just doesn't really inspire me. It's not really a website that I'd really use for inspiration, but I guess a plus side to the website's design is that it allows for the designs to stand out, although I'd probably stay away from dark colours - I think lighter colours would allow for more distinction of the images.


EDIT: On doing some more research, I found the shop link to Alexander McQueen's online market for his clothing. I find that this website is something a lot more appropriate to the designs of McQueen's, with the lighter colours and the large space for the images to be the main focus. 

Again, this website is fairly simple and straight forward in terms of designs for online shops, which is obviously means it works and does the job it's intended for. I also think that the smaller details such as the rollover effect on the images of the clothing is a nice touch to allow for small amounts of information to be given without having to click through to another page.

Overall, I think the main website isn't much of an inspiration and I think there could be a fair bit done to it to make it more of an experience and more fitting to the type of work that Alexander McQueen and his company does. The shop website is again, not too inspiring, but I find that it's fit for the purpose and allows for the images to be a focus point.

No comments:

Post a Comment