By Naomi Girdler

Module Code: FDGP202

Sunday 19 February 2012

Evaluation

When beginning this project, I was very excited at the opportunity that was presented to create an interactive product. Interactive media and the processes surrounding the subject are something I'm very interested in, so much so that my final project for my National Diploma was entirely Flash based.

I've also been creating, designing and coding websites from a young age and enjoy the process of creating code, building a layout and figuring out problems that may occur on the way. I've taught myself many codes, and now feel fairly confident in Actionscript 2 and 3, as well as CSS and HTML.

I played with the idea of creating a application for a phone for this project, but considering my love for website design, I wanted to use this opportunity to further my knowledge in that field. I also felt more confident with my abilities to do that and create something I'm really happy with, in comparison to something I might not have the most fun with and be slightly disappointed with when creating an app.

I chose to create a website for Vivienne Westwood. I'd be inspired by several websites that I'd seen recently that featured horizontal scrolling as an accessible way to view images. I knew that I wanted to incorporate something like this into my website, not just for the fact it looked good, but as it was something that I hadn't really done before in this way and was a way to experiment with different codes that I hadn't before.

The process of creating my website was one that I really enjoyed. I always love making websites, and having the challenge of writing code, creating a layout and fixing any problems that come along. It's also a really satisfying feeling to see all the code that I've written or tweaked for my purposes, as proof of all the hard work that's been done. I sometimes wonder if I'm the strongest designer, but I found myself concentrating on the right layout for the job, rather than a layout that's visually overwhelming. This meant that I used simple colours, design and layout, which worked for the kind of fashion that Vivienne Westwood creates which is known for its eccentricity and flare.

If I could change anything that I did along the way, it would purely be the addition of a mobile web version. I'm very happy with the results of what I've created but I think as an interactive project, it would interesting to play with the idea of having a mobile version, since iPhone's and Android phones are getting more and more popular.

I'm really pleased with the way this project has gone and I'm confident in what I've created as a successful interactive product. I feel confident in my abilities and have enjoyed experimenting with more difficult and complex codes to create the level of interactivity I've achieved. I think as a basic website, it works and fits the bill for what is needed for Vivienne Westwood's pieces to stand out. I've really enjoyed this entire project and would happily do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment