By Naomi Girdler

Module Code: FDGP202

Sunday 19 February 2012

Design & Layout

When creating the layout basics, I knew I wanted something simple to allow for the imagery of Vivienne Westwood's quirky and eccentric designs to stand out. I wanted to keep it very clean and to make sure the overall look of the website wasn't going to be too 'busy'. When researching Vivienne Westwood's official website, I noticed that there wasn't many colours used. In particular, it was mainly white with a spot colour of along the lines of golden brown. I thought that this was a really nice combination, as well as something that seems quite particular to Vivienne Westwood.


I experimented with the spot colour in a number of ways, whether to have the main text that colour, or the main header styles, but in the end found that having the colour incorporated within the navigation links worked the best. I tried a number of styles with the rollovers, such as a block colour background and underline, but found that changing the colour from a light grey to the golden brown worked the nicest and was a very simple effect.

I think the spot colour keeps the website design from looking too two dimensional and is a small quirk that works well with the images. A small detail that keeps it looking different but not overshadowing any other aspects of the layout, design or images.

No comments:

Post a Comment