By Naomi Girdler

Module Code: FDGP202

Monday 12 December 2011

Examples of Good/Bad Website Design

Since I'm not entirely sure what direction to follow with my interactive design, I've decided to conduct research into a number of different methods. The following is focused on good and bad website design.

The BAD.




  

I really dislike this website. It's just so wrong in such a number of ways. The design for a start makes my eyes hurt, it relies heavily on design that Windows 95 used making it so behind in trends that this website looks like it was designed when I was in my toddler years. The grey boxes and Courier font feels like I've been thrown back to the days when 4MB of RAM was pretty damn good.

The functionality of the website is okay, it's obvious where everything is, except maybe the colour of the harsh white and blue on black might throw your eyes off a little. However, the design of the navigation is poor, with absolutely no originality or creativity to expand on. This may be appealing to the super of all super geeks, but for a fashion website, it's just not relevant for the audience. 




This is probably the best example of just everything bad a website can be. From the awful layout of the website, to the constant font changes throughout the website and how can I forget the beautiful tables in which everything is set out so lovingly? The only thing I can say positively about this website is that the designer on creation didn't know what a GIF was, saving myself and any other unfortunate viewers the risk of fit due to an insane amount of moving images.




I can't help but just hate this website and it's design. In some attempt to seem 'futuristic', they've decided EVERYTHING has to be a SWF file which takes forever to load, and the only thing you can look at whilst this is happening is 'Sequence Loading'. On exploring the website further, and spending more time on it, it seems that once loaded these logos don't just stay put. They continue to go through a cycle of re-loading, and completely putting me off any content that could be worth reading. I also have to mention some very bad pixelated images that isn't the best impression. I can't enjoy anything about this website, quite honestly.


The GOOD. 


 
This is a really nice, clean website built for purpose. It features some lovely interactivity with a large slideshow at the top of the page, that's informative and not at all distracting. The colour scheme is maintained throughout the website, and the navigation bar is obvious, simple with clear dropdown menus hiding any other messy links that they made need to feature. I looked through the site to see if there were any other pages that would let this layout down, but everything has been thoroughly thought out and well executed. Not a very beautifully designed website, but a clean, simple and perfect website for the job.








This is a fantastic example of a simple portfolio website that's super effective. The navigation is boldly sat at the top of the page, which is the only way the links would for this layout, considering the entire thing is only over one page. You scroll through his portfolio, which on clicking of thumbnails opens up an in page high res image for you to view. This has been well thought out and beautifully executed and way in which myself as a designer can take note that simple is definitely the best in a lot of cases.





And finally, a really beautiful website coming from a Portugal based web design company. The navigation is simple and obvious, the text is clean and readable and I especially like the theme they've used of a small monster character to make their website (and thus, the company itself) seem more playful and approachable, whilst maintaining an appropriate level of professionalism. The fact that their business is website design also puts the pressure on creating a suitable website to create a good first impression quite high, but I think they've managed to pull it off effectively. Lovely website.  

2 comments:

  1. Comparing good and bad website is excellent ideas. This can help us to get good idea to make websites.

    Web Design Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.It can be helpful for people who wants to know more about app Modernization services.

    ReplyDelete